Monday, November 24, 2008

Mean Girls? It Starts young...

Nikolas and I met his best friend Dylan and his grandma at Chuck E. Cheese today to celebrate Dylan’s birthday. The boys had such a great time playing together. At one point, they ran up to us so excited to show us the picture they captured on the Chuck E. Sketchbook (The print-out looks like a sketch of the subject). They went back to the machine to make a 2nd one so that each boy could have one to take home. After a minute, they both came running back to the table close to tears because a little girl had gotten in their picture and ruined it. Pam and I went back to the machine with another token to make sure that the boys got a undisturbed picture, leaving the original picture and two bags of full of tokens/tickets unattended.

When we got back to the table the first picture was gone! Pam and I frantically looked around to find it and then Pam noticed two young girls attentively watching us from afar—the same girls who had ruined the second attempt. We didn’t want to go up and confront them, but kept an eye on them. A couple of minutes later, the boys came running up to us again and told us that the girl had the picture and had torn it up in the boys faces!

I was fuming!! I went to confront the mother (who ended up being the nanny). She must have observed something going on because when I found her she had the torn up picture in her hand. The little brat told her that she had found the picture up in the playground, but I let her know exactly what had happened.

After the nanny talked to the girl, she made her come to us and apologize. After a weak “I’m sorry” and "I was just playing with my brother" I did one of those things I swore I would never do--I disciplined someone elses' kid. I explained to her that it was wrong for her to take things that didn’t belong to her and doubly wrong to destroy them. She kept saying “I know, I know” with her eye looking up to the sky in a half eye-roll. It was all I could do not to whack her one.

I really don’t believe the boys did anything to provoke this girl, she seemed to get real delight in just being mean—for her to come to our table and only take the picture when we had a whole bunch of tokens and tickets laying there. It made Pam and I both wonder what kind of problems the girl was going to get herself into once she was a teenager.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is probably because the girl has a nanny raising her and has limits on how she can discipline, the girl isn't stupid, probably knows this and knows she can get away with things.
Children like these make wonderful teenagers.