Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day



Nik and I went to see Disneynature earth this afternoon. I do not recommend it for small children, especially animal lovers like my son.

I was encouraged by what I read today on MousePlanet.com: You probably don't need to worry about the "violence," though unless your child is particularly sensitive. While the movie does not shy away from acknowledging that nature is red in tooth and claw, very little of the red is actually shown on screen. Whenever a predator obtains its prey, the camera shyly looks away.

While there wasn't any actual blood and guts, there was still plenty of chasing, take-downs and biting. There are four of these type of scenes in the movie and each one was agony for Nik. My favorite line was when he told me, "This is torture for an animal lover!"

I felt like the worst mom in the world. I'm sure the three ladies sitting directly behind us who had to listen to my boy whimper, must of felt that way. But there was only like 20 people in the whole theater and they had to sit directly behind us, which seems to happen to us when ever we go see a movie.

After the movie, we went to a local wetlands park with gloves and a bag and picked up garbage...a much better way to spend Earth Day.


That is a whistle in Nik's mouth, which he blew every time we found garbage.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I remember taking him to see Hotel For Dogs and he had a moment in that movie too where he got a little emotional.